Donate Now!

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Long, cold Saturday run

Man was it cold Saturday.  At the start of my run it was about 28 degrees with a 10MPH wind.  Knowing it would be a long run in the cold, I woke up early to eat, warm up, and stretch.  Before I hit the road I had a Clif Bar, 20 oz of Gatorade, and some water.  I also took 4 Gu's with me on the run and my plan was to have 1 Gu every 4.5 miles, then the last one at 16 for the home stretch.  That formula seems to work for me on long runs more that 12 miles.  I was layered perfectly as I did not feel the cold until near the end.  I believe that was due to the sweat on my clothes and the increase in head wind coming down the home stretch.

My goal was to run 18 miles in under 2:15 and I accomplished that goal.  I finished in just under 2:12.  I felt real good during the run.  I ate and drank as planned and had no fuzziness or "bonking".  Physically I felt strong and fit.  I think the long runs are more a test of mental fitness that physical fitness.  I understand that part of the training and realize how important it is.  Running for 3 hours at significant effort is a test of mental focus if you have trained appropriately. 

During the Marine Corp Marathon you hit a long stretch just past halfway with not much crowd support, so mental toughness comes in handy there.  In Boston, I think Heartbreak Hill is more a mental effort than physical.  Don't get me wrong, the hill is hard as hell, but it comes at 20-21 mile mark when you are mentally starting to fizzle out.

Sunday is a much needed day of rest and family time.  We have to attend Emma's cheerleading competition for 7-8 year old girls.  The rest of the day is devoted to the christmas tree and a birthday celebration for my newphew Matthew.  His favorite "Uncle Billy" bought him tickets to his first Big 5 Basketball game at the famed Palestra for Wednesday night 12/8.  We are sitting in the student section for the Penn vs Villanova game, so I know he will eat that up!

No comments:

Post a Comment