Donate Now!

Friday, December 3, 2010

Gearing up for a long run this weekend

Had a good Friday workout today.  Did a 4 mile run on the treadmill to start.  I was going to skip running today because I have an 18 mile training run Saturday, but I changed my mind to hit my weekly planned milage goal.  I need to log over 40 miles this week so I wanted to hit that mark and if I missed today I would have fallen short. 

This is the big stretch in the marathon running program with runs of 18, 20, 22 miles over the next three weekends before I start to taper down.  The 2 marathons I ran (Marine Corp 2009 & Boston 2010), the program I followed worked for me, shorter runs at slithly faster than marathon pace during the week (7, 8, 9 miles) and the long weekend run slightly slower than goal pace.  I do try the 20 or 22 miler at marathon pace or close to it.  This worked during those two races, so I am not changing it to much.  I am hoping for under 3 hours in Disney, since its pretty flat.

After running I had a weight training session that lasted 40 minutes.  I did skip one movement, dumbbell step ups, because I wanted to save my legs a little.  The marathon weight program is working great, I have added weight this fall while maintaining my body fat %.  As I get into the last 2 weeks of marathon training I will drop the seeions down to 2 per week as a way of staying healthy and strong during the taper.

Long run planned for Saturday 7am.  18 miles in under 2:15 is the goals.  It is going to be 26 degrees in the morning so I will have to prep for that.  If its as cold at Disney as it was last year, I know I will be prepared for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment