Donate Now!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Riding a good groove

Last week may have been my best week of training to date, over 14 hours of training.  The weather has picked up, so I am getting outside for rides more often.  I put a dual water bottle holder on the back a few weeks ago and am having trouble keeping the bottles in it.  It seems after some good bumps the bottles start to move up than drop out on a really good bump.  I guess I need to adjust the angle of that thing because I hate stopping to retrieve a bottle after it falls out.

I am in a point in my training program that calls for more race specific workouts, so thats my focus right now.  It was a tough week to stay disciplined.  Cathy had oral surgery on the left side of her mouth and it really has knocked her out.  She can't eat or open her mouth too much, so all she eats is jello, banana, pudding, all soft stuff.  I had to be Mr Mom a bit once I got home from work so Cathy could go and rest and take her pain medicine.  Thursday and Friday it wasn't so bad because I workout in the early AM, and swim in the afternoon after work.  The weekend was tougher.

All three kids had games on Saturday, so we had a tough decision to make on Friday night, how to be in 3 different spots at about the same time.  Thank god for some rain because Emma and Conor had their games cancelled.  Kristina still had her game so I packed everyone up, left Cathy at home to rest and went to Kristina's fields.  Kristina plays in a challenger league, so I like when Emma and Conor get to see some of the other kids playing, it really shows them how much fun "other" kids can have playing sports.  Once we got done the game, we went to the playground at the fields for about an hour, good daddy time for me.  We had a nice afternoon.

When I got home I told Cathy I had to go for my 2 hour run.  I could not miss it.  I put a movie on for the kids, I figured I would get home when it ended.  It was a good run, 16 miles in under 1:54.  I did this run around 1:30 pm, I usually run in the early AM, so this was different; hot and humid.  Later that night I had to go to a graduation party for one of my cousins.  It was a late night for me and the kids as we did not get home until 11PM.  Luckily I stayed away from the bar most of the night.  Cathy stayed at home resting.

Sunday I rose early and went for a 3:30 bike ride.  I covered around 62 miles during the ride over a hilly/rolling terrain.  I am making sure I pick routes that are hilly to rolling, as IMLP is one tough mother of a bike.  I started the bike around 6am and ended and stretched by 9:50AM.  Again, I was Mr Mom.  After I ate some breakfast the kids and I went to the movies to see Rio.  Cute little movie for kids.  At one point Emma pushed my arm and said "Daddy you are snoring!"  I think I dozed off for like 10 minutes.  I wore my compression socks to help aide recovery, and they worked pretty good.  I am still not sure if I will wear them during workout, but after I think they help.

This is a important week coming up.  Normal workouts planned during the week, but on Saturday is my first "Big Day" workout.  Big Day is 1 hour swim, followed by 90 minute break, followed by 5 hour ride, followed by 90 minute break, and finally a 2 hour run.  I can't miss this workout so I think we will be skipping going to the beach for Memorial Day Weekend.  I know my parents understand.  Plus they live in a beach town, so we can go when ever we want.

No comments:

Post a Comment