Donate Now!

Saturday, May 7, 2011

New Jersey Devilman Done

Just a quick not about today's race.  It was the New Jersey Devilman in Cumberland County New Jersey.  This was my first event of the year in triathlon for me, so I was eager to put my training to a bit of a test.  The event is advertised as a Half Lite 50 Mile event.  Below are the splits.
Swim .80 miles
Bike 40.3 miles
Run 8.8 miles

My GPS total were off big time.
Swim .80 miles
Bike 41.18
Run 9.10 miles

I know my GPS is usually off some from the total, but this seemed a good amout.

I have realized I am just not that comfortable with the swim.  I seem to run out of gas or get a lazy with the free style stroke.  I revert to breast stroke to quickly.  I need to get past this and need to figure out why I do it.  I guess I just feel better with the breaststroke because I know I can do the distance without killing myself.

The bike was ok.  I thought I would go faster, but on the return loops we had a good headwind that slowed me down to 18 mph.  On the out loops I was at 23 or 24 mph.  I think I had a good plan for nutrition on the bike, 2 Gu's and half a Clif Bar, 30 oz of Gatorade and 10 oz of water.  I needed to experiment  this because I have Eagleman in a month.  I thought I had enough fuel in my system to finish, no bonking or fuzzy feelings.

The run is by far my best event so I did ok.  I passed alot of people on the run and had the 23rd fastest time on that part.  I averaged 8.7 mph, so around a 7 minute mile.  Only needed 1 Gu on the run and a diluted Gatorade of 20 oz.

Truthfully I was around 14 minutes slower than I had anticipated, but am still happy.  I was aiming for 3:15 as a stretch and under 3:30 to be confident in my training program.  The event was well run from Piranha Sports.  Nice tech shirt and hat as swag, normal stuffing otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment