Donate Now!

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Finish the week strong

Well, its been a pretty good week so far.  The training has been going along on par from last year.  The only real difference is I am still heavier from last year at this time by about 10 lbs.  I am hovering around 190 give or take.  Last year I was around 180 at this point.  Considering that my race schedule starts Sunday March 25 with a 10 miler I am feeling ok.  I know let year, once the weather broke and I got outside, the weight fell off.

For the week through Friday I did not miss any sessions, which was a bonus since softball started for one little lady in my house, and its been in the 70's all week.  I have logged lots of playground nights recently so it is worth it.  Work is a little slow right now, so I don't have a ton of stress from that area.

On Friday, I had  a busy day.  My plan was to do my trainer session at home, started around 530am.  Once I completed that, I headed to the Northeast YMCA for 45 minutes of weight training.  Headed back home to shower then return to the Y for a Board of Directors Meeting.  I have been on the Board since November 2011.  After that morning I headed to work.  On my way to work I received a call from a contractor who did work at my house last year.  The short story is he made a major error with cement, didn't fix it, so I hired someone else, then filed the paperwork for small claims court to get my money back.  Anyway, he called Friday and I met him so he could pay me the money back for the repairs.  I thought this was going to be a great end of the week before I headed to the shore for a mini-training camp weekend with a race on Sunday.

When I returned to work, a guest came into use our showers.  One of my employees, Nish, came in to make sure it was ok for the guy to just shower.  He had a special, national gym membership through his insurance, and we are a participating location.  It was all good, he only had to fill out our guest pass.  As he was filling it out, I noticed he lived in California.  I asked hime a few questions, which led to 20 minutes of talking about running, training, and marathons.  He was scheduled to run 101 this year...YES 101 Marathons just this year. He figured he would cross 1,000 next year.   Little did I know I was talking to an underground celebrity in the running community.  Jim Simpson was in my gym showering before he was going to run TWO marathons this weekend! One of them was the race I am doing on Sunday.   I won't bore you with all the details of our conversations, my drooling, or showing off my office nicknamed "The Sportsman's Paradise."  His camper was parked outside and he just need to shower.  I did give hime a I Tri 4 Downs T-shirt as a momento of his visit to the AFI.


Here is a link to the Runners World Article that did a feature on him.  He is living a dream!
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--13059-0,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment