Donate Now!

Monday, June 13, 2011

42 Days to go until Lake Placid

Its only 42 days until Ironman Lake Placid.  I have not swam, biked(stationary bike doesn't count), or ran since 6/1/11 because of the bike crash and dislocated shoulder.  Last week I did ride the stationary bike at the Y everyday for an hour or 90 minutes to try and maintain my fitness level.  I now fear my fitness level dropping like a boulder in the ocean.

I went to Eagleman with my daughter Emma over the weekend.  We had a great time just the two of us.  It is not often I get that much time with her alone, so it was great.  She was a real trooper through it all.  I was totally brought down at athlete check in when I told them I was not racing, and they took all the numbers and bib out of my packet, I guess thats when it really hit me.


Camping was exciting, especially since neither one of us had ever done it before.  It was really great when the 90-minute thunderstorm passed through us and we had to retreat to the car for shelter.  Once the storm passed us by I went out and dried the inside of the tent so we could sleep.  It was fun for us both, no TV so we sat and talked about all the stuff 8 year old girls like.  We also talked alot about how people will treat Emma since she has a sister with Down Syndrome.   She shared stories with me of time she was teased or felt embarrassed by Kristina.  I shared stories with her as well.  I tried to tell her that it will not get easier for her and some kids don't understand what it is like to have a brother or sister who is diffent.  It was a great 2 hours for me.  This was us right before I declared "lights out."


When we got home on Sunday morning, Emma didn't want to stay for the whole race so we left after the pro's exited the swim, I tried to go for a run.  I couldn't run because of the pain still in my ribs.  So instead I walked for the 1:10 workout.  I figured the walk was better than nothing.  I plan on testing the shoulder with a bike ride on Monday morning.

PS--tried to ride my bike on the road this AM and lasted less than .25 miles.  The shoulder felt fine, the bike didn't.  The handle bars seemed "shakey" and the rear tire seemed off.  I went to the Y and rode the stationary bike for an 1 hour then came home.  I took the bike to Guy's Bicycles to have them look at it.  The head mechanic fixed the handle bars and said my rear tire just had a "worn out" section from when I locked up my brakes in the crash.  He handled both the issues for me for free.  I guess when I walked in and the owner says "We were just talking about you the other day, about your crash", the mechanic felt like they owed me one.  The are super nice at Guy's Bicycles and I am a good customer for them.

2 comments:

  1. Sounded like a great weekend, even if you couldn't race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Captain--thanks for the note. All the words of encouragement are great. Can't wait to have a few "Tall Boys" after IMLP. That is if I can lift my arm up.

    ReplyDelete