Donate Now!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Love the Taper week!

I love finally hitting the final taper week.  The best part of monster month in a marathon training program is knowing that the taper immediately follows.  This week has been super nice. 

Monday was a total day of rest and recovery.  Other than working, I did no official training.  I took my bag to work, but just could not fit it in.  The post holiday crowd arrived at work early, all implementing their fitness resolutions.  I just could not justify taking a workout break.  I am sure my boss liked that one!  The bonus of working in the fitness industry is the access to equipment, the downside is January and Febraury when everyone wants to loose the weight they gained during the holidays in a short amount of time.

Tuesday was cold again, so I followed my past taper week plans and did a short 4 mile run on the treadmill in under 27 minutes followed by an shortened weight training session.  I only used my own body weight for the leg portions, as a way to keep my legs fresh and strong.  In all I worked out for about an hour.

Wednesday was only 26 degrees outside today with a 10 mph wind.  I wanted to get in one more 7 mile run outside, so I layered up and hit the road around 7:15 am.  My plan called for one more run of 7 miles in under 50 minutes which was nice.  I tested a pair of compression calf supports, 2XU brand.  They seemed to be pretty good and I did not develop any rash or irritation from them, so I am going to use them.  The last two marathons my calfs and glutes gave out before my quads, so I am willing to try anything.  I have trained all winter with a pair of compression shorts under my running shorts/pants to help my glutes and on the long runs (18,20,21 miles) I felt pretty good in that area so they will be a go.

My plan calls for another short run on Thursday(4 miles) followed by easy weights.  Friday is our day to travel.  I told my wife, Cathy, that Friday was her day (bribe for her support) and I would do anything she wanted.  She knows that Saturday will call for a day of a short run (4 miles) followed by the runners expo, then rest, rest, and more rest. I believe once we arrive in Orlando we will go to Universal Studios for most of the day.  Since the kids are staying home I don't have to go on all the kiddie rides, so no Disney World this time.  I have been trying to stick to the nutrition plan for the week and so far under caloric budget.  Starting Thusday I will increase the fruits and veggies, Gatorade, and cut out all soda/ice teas.  That last part is so hard because I love Mountain Dew as my morning "coffee".

I believe under 3 hours is realistic based on my training plan and how I feel right now.  The Marine Corp was 3:08 and Boston 3:10, and those courses have more hills than the Disney course  The weather right now in Disney should be perfect, 48 degrees at the start.  Ideal conditions for a PR!

No comments:

Post a Comment