Donate Now!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The IRONMAN Training Begins

So since the Disney Marathon, I have rested and recovered.  During this time I also started and nearly finished reading Joe Friel's book Your Best Triathlon: Advanced Training for Serious Triathletes.   I wanted to finish this book prior to writing my annual training program.  I knew I needed the extra insight prior to starting the Lake Placid portion of the training program.  I am glad I did because I picked up some great tips from Joe and hope to follow the plans he lays out in the book

Last week I only walked as my form of recovery exercise.  That was it.  No lifting weights, running, swimming, or biking.  I could feel that my body needed some rest and recovery, so I listened and let my body rest.

So far this week, its been a different story.  I have 27 weeks until Ironman Lake Placid and the real training starts at week 23.  right now the focus is on preparing for the training.  This will including getting back in the pool this week.  I have not been in any body of water since October 3, 2010, so I will need to clean up my technique during this initial phase.

Monday I got started off on the right foot.  I headed into work early and did a 45 minute weight training session then did a 45 minute session on the bike, covering 18 miles.  The weight sessions will focus on building some good strength and include all the major muscle groups with extensive core focus.  My bike session focused on maintaining a 100 RPM while keeping my HR in Zone 1 for the entire 45 minutes.  I am trying to lay down some steady state muscle endurance.

Tuesday was a cold snowy day in Philly with ice overnight, so there would be no running outside.  I headed to the hated treadmill for a 7 mile in under 47 minutes, and I made that.  On my way home I stopped at the YMCA for a 1 mile swim session.  It was not as bad as I imagined it.  I was only 1 minute slower in the mile than my last swim session before the 70 mile triathlon back in October 2010.  Overall I know I have alot of work ahead of me in the swim, especially if I want to crack 1:08 at Lake Placid.

Wednesday I woke up and was feeling the affects of 2 good days of training.  I completed my weight session as planned then got on the bike.  I rode 24 miles in an hour while maitaining 100 RPM for the entire ride.  I was sweating pretty good so I knew I was working pretty good.  I kept my HR in zone 1 as expected.

I know the Ironman is nothing to take lightly.  I was admittedly shocked when I looked at the total training plan I had just laid out.  I believe if I pay the price in the training I should have a great day.

Below is me at the Disney Marathon.  I had to get my picure with this guys since my kids love them so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment