Donate Now!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Crazy Busy

WOW has it been busy.  On the home front, three kids started spring baseball.  It's not easy keeping all the practices, games, and special events in sync.  Our calendar at home is like a rainbow with all the highlighted games and practices....not to mention races.

Emma getting a hit!
Kristina in action.














Since my last post I had another race...Mt Penn Mudfest 15 K Trail Run in Reading, PA.  The group that puts the race on in the Pagoda Pacers.  They are a fun bunch and put on great races.  It was a great/tough race, very technical.  The pre-race announcement advised us of a "boulder" climb, 4 water crossings, and two separate 40 yard long "rock" trails.  The only problem was, I twisted my right ankle three different times, one was really bad where I considered stopping and walking it in.  When I twisted it I actually thought "what the hell am I doing, I have an Ironman in July and I am out here going to break my ankle and miss it."

Once I finished and returned home, I realized how bad my right foot was.  By the end of Saturday I was limping pretty good, and already bruised.  Luckily I had vast experience with twisted ankles from all the years playing basketball in college and high school.  Sunday, after I rode the trainer for 3-hours and the ankle loosened up,  I felt good by the end.

Last week I managed 14.5 hours of training and did not miss a session.  I am actually starting to feel pretty good on the runs and comfortable in the pool.  I do know I need to have my bike looked at by the shop.  The tires are showing some wear and tear signs so I would rather get that looked at now rather then breakdown out on the road.

Over the weekend I did make a purchase for the race season.  I picked up a pair of Newton Running Shoes that I had been eyeing for some time.  I wanted to try this out to see how my feet would respond.  So far this week I have 10 miles in them and feel pretty good.  You are suppose to work into them and not jump right in.  I have tried to be more aware of my stride and forefoot landing, so Newton's are suppose to help with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment