Donate Now!

Monday, July 18, 2011

FINAL WEEK

Well it all comes down to this.  The last week in training for Ironman Lake Placid.  To be honest I am a little worried and I am not even at the race sight.  I am only nervous that my shoulder has set my swim back to far.  I believe I'll get through the bike and run on my plan, but the shoulder has me worried.  Six weeks ago to dislocate my shoulder, and I have been working hard in Physical Therapy to bring it back, but I still cannot make the freestyle motion.  I guess I'll be breaststroking the whole damn thing.

How did the final weeks of the Prep block go?  Well I think it went pretty good.  The last 2-weeks call for 4 race intensity based workouts, and many recovery type workouts.  I think my running has finally come back because my speed, effort, and HR seem to be back to where they were pre-crash.  I did manage 6 swim session in the last 2-weeks, non longer than 45 minutes however.  Now you can see my concern for the swim.  I have 4 sessions still to go before the race, so I still have a chance.

The last 6-weeks have been a little tough because of the injury and fatigue setting in.  I am starting to feel fresh right now.  This week will be nice and easy with 4 days of workouts(with race intervals) then the race itself.  The workouts get progressively lighter each day starting Tuesday.  I'll make Friday a complete rest day.  Saturday, real light with pre-race swim, bike the run course, and finally run the final 3 miles of the marathon.  Sunday should be a great be play day!!!

On the fundraising efforts, its been a great time.  So far over $3,000 raise for special needs children.  It has really nice having all the support from so many people.  I am hopeful some additional funds come in after the event, but if it does't, thats OK, its been a great first event.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Sunday. Way to overcome the twists and turns. Will make it that much sweeter when you cross the line and will make the future Ironman war story even better. Nice work on the fundraising too.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks--really appreciate the encouragement. I am sure I'll run into you on the streets and def at the BW deck on Monday.

    ReplyDelete