Donate Now!

Monday, July 8, 2013

Philadelphia Triathlon


June 23, 2013
Total Time:  2:27:49
188/1292 overall
15th in AG
Swim:  25:17
Bike:  1:13:31
Run:   43:20
The Philadelphia Triathlon is my home race.  No travel expenses, hotels, or long drive, so it is nice.  I was on vacation the week leading into this race so I was feeling pretty good and prepped for it.  Having just come off Eagleman 70.3, I was feeling fit and confident.  I did not over do-it on vacation so I knew if I stuck to the plan I would be ok.  I checked in on Saturday on my way home from vacation.  I left Cathy and the kids in the car as I got all the race swag and goodies.
It was a perfect morning for a race, but it was going to warm up a lot.  Race morning I left a little earlier than normal since they said they would be doing a check of all bags going into transition.  The race organizers also wanted us to use the provided clear plastic bags they gave us to make it easier getting in, so I did that even though it would make carrying them a little harder.  I parked just outside the expo area just of the main section around Memorial Hall.  Once I was set up in transition, I had to board a bus to get to the swim start.  It was an easy walk to the bus for the wait for my wave. 
I tried to remain calm and patient as I waited for my group to be called to the start.  There was no mass start, so you got sent into the water in groups of about 10.  A safe start, but it takes long.  I tried to swim steady and practice sighting along the way.  The Tri Rock series took the race management this year.  One of the nice features for the swim was distance numbering on the bouyeys, so you would know how far you had gone.  Before I knew it I was at the 1400M sign and heading for shore in just over 25 minutes.  T1 was easy and quick, the wetsuit came right off and I was ready for the bike in just over 3 minutes.
The bike course is great.  You travel through Fairmount Park on a two loop course.  It has four nice hills you do 2x’s each over the 24.8 mile course.  You have nice technical sections, short steep hills, fast down hills, and flat “get it done” areas.  You do have to watch for the less experienced triathletes.  I am not super fast, but I cannot count how many times I had to say “on your left” because someone was drifting over to the double yellow lines as I passed them.  I tried to maintain an even pace of 20MPH through both loops, which I did according to my Garmin.  In T2 to get ready for the run and I realized I had no water pack for the day, forgot to pack it.  Oh well, I would rely just on the aid stations in super hot/humid conditions!  Nice T2 in 2:28.




The run is a nice, flat course.  The first almost 3.5 miles, is along the more shaded section of the Martin Luther King Drive.  It has a nice tree canopy that offers plenty of shade.  Through the shade, I could feel how hot it really was.  By the 2 mile marker and aid station I was pouring water on my head and ice into my shirt and shorts.  The last 2.5 miles is all along the open and exposed section of the MLK heading towards the Art Museum.  Nothing but asphalt reflecting the sun right back into your face and body.  They had tubs of ice cold water with towels…perfect to wrap around you neck for some relief or to cool off your face and arms.  I finished with a nice kick to the end, not allowing anyone to pass in the last .5 miles.  I was aiming for less than 45 minutes and came in at 43:20. 

After the race I had to get home fast to pick up the family and head to our friends house that was hosting an event to benefit I Tri 4 Downs.  It was a Girl Scout Triathlon called ‘tri a tri for I Tri 4 Downs’.  The girls did it as their service project and secured “pledges” from family and friends.  They raised $420.00 for I Tri 4 Downs!  I cannot thank Janene Geiss and her troop for an amazing show of support.  The athletes swam in the pool, rode bikes around the block, and ran around more than half the block.  After the event they had their regular meeting and were awarded Triathlon badges! What a great afternoon!








No comments:

Post a Comment