Donate Now!

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sloppy Cuckoo


Short Verison:  13.1 miles=1:51.22
17th Overall, 5th Age Group AGAIN!

Last year I did this race as well and finished 11th overall in 1:53.53.  This year I was over 2.5-minutes faster, lost 6 places in the overall standings  and got “chicked” by two awesome lady trail runners.  My ego is not that big, so having a better athlete pass me, lady or man, is OK with me.
The race was Sunday 9/23 and as luck would have it it rained on 9/22 during the night.  Perfect pre-race conditions for a trail run named the Sloppy Cuckoo.  The race was a mere 10 minute car ride from my house, so I left at 8:15am for a 9am start, much better than getting up at 4am for a triathlon. 
Once at the race start, I found an old friend, Jim Trexler and his buddy Ken.  We had planned to do this race as Jim is getting ready for the Steamtown Marathon in a few weeks.  We had a chance to talk before the race got started and after.  While waiting at the start line, the race director Stephen Weiss, told us about the optional “shoe washing station” at mile 2.8 or so.  If you took the shoe wash trail, you saved about ¼ of a mile total.  If you skipped it, you added about ¼ mile by running over a bridge to get back to the trail.  It wound up being a creek crossing of 2 ½ feet deep water.  Nice for a trail run, but heavy on the feet for 9 miles or so.  Needless to say, I took the “shoe wash” both times around the course.
Trail running is so different than road racing.  Trail runners tend to be more laid back and just go with the flow.  No corrals at the start line, no elbowing for position,  just a simple spread out wide and go until the turn.  Stephen gives a simple “Ready..set…go” to start.  Don’t get me wrong, on the single track its tight, but all you need to do is say something like “coming through” and the runner ahead will usually move over when it is safe for them to do so.  I came upon many runners that said something similar when I was behind them…”just let me know when you want to pass.” 
The trail is not overly technical, but is more challenging than most people think.  I keep thinking I should run in this part of the city more, especially for long runs since it is shaded, but seem to always forget about it until fall.  The run is nice with some wide sections along the Pennypack Creek, and the technical single track sections.  You essentially make a 6.55 mile loop and do it twice for the 13.1 miles.  The best part was the “alternative” beverage station around mile 3 and 9…although Milwaukees Best was not what I had in mind!  I only fell onto my hands one time, on the second loop crossing the “shoe” station coming up the bank from the creek bed.  I did see many people with the marks of having fallen.  Even Jimmy’s buddy Ken said he took two falls, and he is an Ultra runner.
Overall it was  a great day…finished 5th in my Age Group, 17th overall.  After the race I hung out with Jimmy for a little while then headed to meet my family for my mother’s birthday brunch.  I got changed in the car along the way, but still had mud and dirt all over my legs and hands…the old guys face in the bathroom was awesome when we saw me getting clean from the sink.  Priceless!!


No comments:

Post a Comment